This is about my experiences - educational, social, and professional - as a student at PennGSE...

Spelman Alum Sponsored College Tour

Spelman Alum Sponsored College Tour
All the Beautiful Young Women!

Monday, October 8, 2007

Another Week...

I have started this blog over 3 different times. I have no idea what to talk about.

Well, I'm watching VH1's Hip Hop Honors...did anyone else watch this? As I'm watching it, I can't help but to think of the evolution of Hip-Hop over the last 30 years. I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing. You have people like Mos Def, Common, Kanye (I know he's debatable "You can be my Black Kate Moss tonight"), and Talib K., then at the other end of the "New Age Hip Hop Artist Continuum" you have 50 Cent (ILL), the Game, Lil Boosie, Gucci Mane, etc...How can something so different be considered Hip-Hop? Taking it back to the old age RWL question, What is Literacy?, I have to stand back and ask, What is Hip-Hop? As I watch the legacy of Hip-Hop and what was Hip-Hop, I hate that some of the garbage that consumes the media today is considered Hip-Hop. I can even deal with some people who may not rap about the best things or most positive situations, but they still manage to maintain a level of creativty and consciousness in thier "16 bars of fire"...such as Weezy (The Lexical Navigationist! LOL) T.I., Ludacris, and Jay-Z. I thought Hip-Hop was fun, creativity, self-expression, and something that was supposed to uplift, but the state of Hip-Hop is quickly deteriorating as a result of what we accept from artist. Why do we buy the music? Why do we request the songs on the radio? Why have we allowed something so creative and innovative to turn into something that lack substance? By not listening, I don't know if that makes me active in the backlash against some of the garbage that is considered Hip-Hop...but I feel like more people should, just not listen. I even feel like the Hip-Hop legends should take an active stance in speaking out against dispicable "rappers" like 50 Cent...but maybe they don't care. Maybe I'm the only one who hates this commercial Hip-Hop and all its popularity...

No comments: